If you want to have a healthier life then it is of a big importance to have good night sleep and rest. By good night sleep we do not mean 11-12 hours of sleep, because too much sleeping can cause serious health problems just as when you are not sleeping enough.
So the big question is, how long should I sleep?
Well for most adults it is recommended to sleep 7 to 9 hours during the night, but children under the age of 18 should sleep more.
Below you can see a chart which shows for each age how much sleep is needed. The recommendations are based on many studies that were made by experts. If you get to sleep more or less one hour a couple of times it is not a big deal, but if you keep doing that for a longer period of time that can cause problems. There are plenty of reasons why you should mind your sleep and here are some of them:
1. Obesity – If you spend too much time sleeping then the metabolism will not use its energy but instead it will store it.
2. Depression – Insomnia or oversleeping are the two ways of which depression affects the sleep.
3. Diabetes – If you sleep too much or too little that can affect your body’s ability to process glucose and that can lead to insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes.
4. Headaches – If you have overslept sometimes then you might have noticed that you have headaches? Besides that it can also cause damage to certain neurotransmitters, such as serotonin.
5. Heart disease – In order for the heart to stay in shape and to function properly it needs periods of both exercise and rest. And if you sleep too much or too little, then you can disturb those periods.
6. Back pain – To be in bed most of the time, comes along with weak back muscles. That is why if you oversleep you will experience back pain.
How to overcome excessive sleeping:
1. First of all you should have the motivation to change your lifestyle with a much healthier one and to stick to it.
2. Second you should exercise because that will help you with clearing your mind and with boosting your energy.
3. Third you should drink plenty of water especially during and after exercising.
4. Do you feel sleepy? Then to and take a cold shower,
5. Last but not least you should have a sleep schedule which will suit your lifestyle. Also it is of a big importance to turn off all electronic devises in the room where you sleep.