- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup mild salsa (medium if you like spicy)
- 3-4 tablespoons brown sugar **
- 1 4 oz. can mild diced green chilies
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tsp EACH ground cumin, garlic pwdr, onion pwdr,
- 1/2 tsp EACH smoked paprika, dry oregano, pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper (optional for more heat)
- 1 teaspoons liquid smoke
- Hot sauce to taste
Rub chicken breasts with oil and place in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the hot sauce. Cook on high for 2-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken is tender enough to shred.
Remove chicken to a cutting board, and let rest 5 minutes before shredding (there will be liquid remaining). Return shredded chicken and let cook on low for an additional 20 minutes to absorb some of the liquid/juices. Drain all excess liquid (see note***). Taste and add hot sauce to taste if desired.